Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Comic Cats #3: Atomicat

Atomic Robo is an astounding comic created by Brian Clevinger and Scot Wegener, and is one of the few comics that I can NOT wait to be collected into trade paperbacks to read. Robo runs Tesladyne Industries, a corporation of Action Scientists for hire that deal with both normal and extra-normal phenomenon by the liberal application of SCIENCE (and fists). It's fun, it's all-ages, and you can pick it up and start reading at ANY issue. That last fact blows my mind when I think about it; each comic contributes to a world history with Robo in it and an overarching story, but you can jump into at any point, negating the need to look up 40 years of continuity and back-story like you would if you were to read pretty much any other comic on the shelves today. (New 52, I'm looking at you. I know DC rebooted, but I STILL need to look up old continuity details, especially if I'm going to get the most out of the new stories. Kudos for taking a huge leap forward, though.) The Free Comic Book Day stories are up online, including my favorite, Why Atomic Robo Hates Dr. Dinosaur. It's quick, it's hilarious, you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment